Skip to main content

Healthy Banana Pancakes


One thing I learned when I switched to clean eating was that gluten and I do not get along. I never really had any immediate distress from eating gluten but when I stopped eating it I noticed my thinking and focus was much clearer.

The big bummer? I used to love making pancakes for the family (and me) on Sunday mornings. What I didn’t love were the hours following breakfast as I laid around like a beached whale trying to digest the darn things.

I was intrigued when I found this recipe for healthy banana pancakes. They are gluten-free, dairy free and fun to make. They don’t taste exactly like pancakes but I like them better because they’re light and much easier to digest. In many ways, the taste and texture remind me of French Toast.

Here’s what you need:

  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 Medium Ripe Banana
  • 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon Honey
  • Cinnamon

Directions:

STEP ONE: MASH UP THE BANANA


This part is fun and a great way to get rid of any pent up frustration 😉 Peel your banana and break it into three or four pieces (so it fits in a bowl). Using a fork, mash it up until it looks like pudding with only a few small lumps.

STEP TWO: ADD OTHER INGREDIENTS (BUT NOT THE EGGS)


Add the honey, vanilla and cinnamon and mix.

STEP THREE: ADD THE EGGS!


In a separate bowl whisk the eggs together until the yolks and whites are combined. Next pour the egg mixture over the banana mixture. Stir until completely combined. The mixture will seem watery (or more watery than pancake mix) but that’s ok.


Cooking tips

Keep them small. These are a bit more challenging to flip than regular pancakes so I found making them small was helpful.

I use a cast iron frying pan. For best results I add a little oil and make sure the pan is really hot before I start cooking. I did them over medium heat and found they got easier to flip as I went along.

When I was done I sprinkled cinnamon on top and add a little real maple syrup. As I said before, I thought they came out great. I really enjoyed making and eating them.

Variations

So if you’re interested in a healthy alternative to pancakes give these banana pancakes a try. Obviously, you could add blueberries, strawberries, chocolate chips and create all sorts of different variations. Have you tried these? Leave a comment and share what you added to dress them up.

Facebooktwitterlinkedinrssyoutube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Most Surprising Way Your Bones Support You

  Why Standing Helps with Healthy Weight It’s well documented that people who do a lot of sitting have increased risk of obesity. On the surface it makes sense because when you’re sitting, you’re not moving (much).  Sitting doesn’t allow you to burn many calories. But how does standing more reduce the risk of obesity? The answer may be found in your bones. A  new study  conducted on mice set out to determine whether fat mass helps regulate body mass. Without getting deep into the details,  the most interesting result seemed to suggest your bones play an important role in regulating your diet. Osteocytes  are bone cells that detect when weight is bearing on your skeletal system. According to the study, healthy bones detect changes in body mass and adjust your diet accordingly. (Lower body mass = eat more | Higher body mass = eat less) When you’re sitting your bones aren’t sensing your full body mass so that may in fact cause you to eat more. On the othe...

Health Benefits & Risks of Alcohol

Who Shouldn’t Consume Alcohol? You shouldn’t consume alcohol if you… are under the age of 21 years old; are pregnant or attempting to get pregnant; are a recovering alcoholic; are taking prescription or over the counter medications (check with your doctor and heed warning labels); have a health condition that could worsen as a result of consuming alcohol; plan to operate heavy machinery   Moderation is the key According to the mayo clinic Moderate alcohol consumption for healthy adults: Up to one drink a day for women of all ages (over 21) Up to two drinks a day for all men aged 21 – 65 Up to one drink a day for men over 65 A “drink” is defined as: Beer 12 fluid ounces Wine 5 fluid ounces Distilled Spirits (80 proof) 1.5 fluid ounces Benefits Lower Risk of Heart Failure Reduced Chance of Developing Type 2 Diabetes Decreased Chance of Developing Dementia Risks Heavy consumption of alcohol can negatively impact your health with prolonged abuse. Also serious consequences have been ass...

5 Reasons Why You’re Not Losing Weight

You’re Determined You made your resolution but despite your best efforts you’re not losing weight! Why not? You might be surprised how many products and strategies touted to help you are actually working against you!   EXERCISE If you’re relying entirely on exercise and not changing your diet to lose weight it’s probably working against you. Exercise is great for your overall health and well being but when it comes to weight loss it’s only part of the equation. To lose weight you may need to adjust your diet along with exercise. EATING LOW FAT OR FAT FREE FOODS Many low-fat and no fat foods contain more sugar than regular versions of the same food. Eating even small amounts of added sugar can lead to weight gain. CONSUMING TOO MANY CALORIES Calories are tricky little ninjas and they can hideout in the most benign places. Try tracking your food consumption for a week. You may be surprised at what you find. GET RID OF TOXINS Toxins are everywhere, in the foods we eat, the air we brea...