Skip to main content

7 Myths About Clean Eating, Busted

In March, I took a 30 day challenge. The challenge was to eat clean and support my bodies natural elimination organs. I’ll admit I was pretty nervous before I started but I found that not only was it easy, it had a profound impact on my health! I also found out I was wrong about clean eating and what I thought it was. Here are 7 myths I believed about clean eating which simply just aren’t true.

Myth 1: I Already Eat Clean

Before I started the program, I would have told you “I already eat clean”. I think it’s common for all of us to feel like we’re eating well.  I mean salads for lunch, no dairy (well except for the occasional cheese stick and yogurt), no read meat (well once in awhile) and no processed food (well yeah a sports bar ever once in awhile).

Well, during the program I cut out dairy, coffee, alcohol, and refined sugar and guess what? I feel incredible.

If you feel you’re already eating clean you might be fooling yourself. The best way to really be sure is to track yourself for a week and take a close look at what you’re eating. You might be surprised how some “not so clean” foods like to sneak there way in while you’re not looking. There are a couple of great apps you can use for tracking what you eat, one of my favorites is Lose It.

Myth 2: I’ll Never be able to Give up Coffee

Coffee is very acidic to your system so it’s one of the things any good clean eating program will eliminate. As someone who has been drinking 2 -3 cups of coffee a day for decades, this was my number one concern.

However, the program I’m using is designed to help you kick the coffee habit quickly and easily.  By drinking plenty of water and a special “fizz” drink with B vitamins and antioxidants. Giving up the “Joe” was really pretty easy. I had a minor headache the first day (which is common) but after that, it was super easy.  I’m sure, even if you’re a big coffee drinker (like I was) you’ll find you don’t miss it. You may also discover, as I did that you have WAY more energy too! How? Read on…

Myth 3: I’ll be Tired

Doesn’t clean eating make you tired, especially if you’re going to cut out coffee? No, in fact just the opposite is true. By introducing probiotics and enzymes your body takes more advantage of nutrients in the foods you eat. All those nutrients provide even more energy. You don’t need to rely on something like coffee for energy because you’re getting it from your food.

Myth 4: Clean Eating Will Leave Me Hungry

I thought clean eating would be about eating vegetables and starving in between meals but I was wrong. Why? You have a shake in the morning, a healthy snack, a shake for lunch, another healthy snack and then an amazing dinner! When you balance your blood sugar by eating healthy snacks throughout the day you avoid the roller coaster of snacking, crashing and snacking. It feels so much better to be on a more even keel.

Myth 5: The Food Won’t Taste Good

Actually, the food is amazing! My program includes amazing meal recipes designed by chefs and registered dietitians and they are so tasty. Every week you get a shopping list too so being prepared and making the meals is really simple.

With recipes like “Sweet Potato – Turkey Chili”, “Chicken Avocado Soup”, and “Southwestern Quinoa and Black Bean Casserole” I’m eating tastier, healthier food now than I ever have. If you’re like me, you’ll want to put these into your family’s normal meal rotation. Even my kids love them!

Myth 6: Clean Eating Will be Expensive

You might think organic, healthy food is more expensive right? Nope, actually the program includes really amazing vanilla and chocolate protein shakes for breakfast and lunch, healthy snack recipes and amazing dinner recipes. By replacing breakfast and lunch I’ve found it’s actually less expensive at the grocery store than it was before!

Myth 7: I Won’t Be Able To Give Up (fill in the blank) for a Whole Month

If you have a sweet tooth or you crave salty snacks you might be concerned that you won’t be able to go a full month without them. You’ll find it’s much easier than you think. Because your blood sugar remains constant you’re not crashing and craving that sugar or salt. Plus there are really satisfying healthy snack alternatives that leave you feeling great. I’ve had several “sugar-holics” completely kick the habit in 30 days!

Bonus Myth: Weight Loss = Healthy

There is a final common myth people have about health and weight loss. Some feel weight loss means your healthy and that simply isn’t true. It’s why a lot of the fad diets on the market aren’t sustainable and aren’t good for you. However, when you reverse your thinking you realize that weight loss is a result of being healthy! It’s the smart way, and it’s the right way to achieve your weight – loss goals.

Clean Eating Benefits

After completing the challenge I’ve experienced incredible benefits. I feel mentally sharp, I have more energy and I’m sleeping better than I have in years. I actually wake up feeling refreshed! By cutting out inflammatory foods I’m also experiencing a reduction in bloating around my midsection. (and I like that).

Many people I’ve coached through the program have experienced significant weight-loss as a result of eating healthy, (weight-loss is a bi-product of a healthy lifestyle). I lost over 24 pounds on the program!

Conclusion

If you’ve thought about clean eating but held off because of some of the same concerns I had,  maybe it’s time to say “Yes” and take the challenge. I promise you, it will be one of the best decisions you’ve ever made and you’ll look back and be so glad you did it.

If you want to learn more about the program I did I’ll send you a FREE video that shows you how eating clean  can help you reach and exceed your health and fitness goals too!

To your health! 

Steve 

Facebooktwitterlinkedinrssyoutube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Most Surprising Way Your Bones Support You

  Why Standing Helps with Healthy Weight It’s well documented that people who do a lot of sitting have increased risk of obesity. On the surface it makes sense because when you’re sitting, you’re not moving (much).  Sitting doesn’t allow you to burn many calories. But how does standing more reduce the risk of obesity? The answer may be found in your bones. A  new study  conducted on mice set out to determine whether fat mass helps regulate body mass. Without getting deep into the details,  the most interesting result seemed to suggest your bones play an important role in regulating your diet. Osteocytes  are bone cells that detect when weight is bearing on your skeletal system. According to the study, healthy bones detect changes in body mass and adjust your diet accordingly. (Lower body mass = eat more | Higher body mass = eat less) When you’re sitting your bones aren’t sensing your full body mass so that may in fact cause you to eat more. On the othe...

Health Benefits & Risks of Alcohol

Who Shouldn’t Consume Alcohol? You shouldn’t consume alcohol if you… are under the age of 21 years old; are pregnant or attempting to get pregnant; are a recovering alcoholic; are taking prescription or over the counter medications (check with your doctor and heed warning labels); have a health condition that could worsen as a result of consuming alcohol; plan to operate heavy machinery   Moderation is the key According to the mayo clinic Moderate alcohol consumption for healthy adults: Up to one drink a day for women of all ages (over 21) Up to two drinks a day for all men aged 21 – 65 Up to one drink a day for men over 65 A “drink” is defined as: Beer 12 fluid ounces Wine 5 fluid ounces Distilled Spirits (80 proof) 1.5 fluid ounces Benefits Lower Risk of Heart Failure Reduced Chance of Developing Type 2 Diabetes Decreased Chance of Developing Dementia Risks Heavy consumption of alcohol can negatively impact your health with prolonged abuse. Also serious consequences have been ass...

5 Reasons Why You’re Not Losing Weight

You’re Determined You made your resolution but despite your best efforts you’re not losing weight! Why not? You might be surprised how many products and strategies touted to help you are actually working against you!   EXERCISE If you’re relying entirely on exercise and not changing your diet to lose weight it’s probably working against you. Exercise is great for your overall health and well being but when it comes to weight loss it’s only part of the equation. To lose weight you may need to adjust your diet along with exercise. EATING LOW FAT OR FAT FREE FOODS Many low-fat and no fat foods contain more sugar than regular versions of the same food. Eating even small amounts of added sugar can lead to weight gain. CONSUMING TOO MANY CALORIES Calories are tricky little ninjas and they can hideout in the most benign places. Try tracking your food consumption for a week. You may be surprised at what you find. GET RID OF TOXINS Toxins are everywhere, in the foods we eat, the air we brea...